Monday, January 25, 2010

Want to know what I did today?

Today I did something that I haven’t done for years…and I mean YEARS! Bet you’ll never guess what it was.


Okay, give up? I took a bath in the middle of the afternoon. I lit candles, put on some spa music, threw some relaxing lavender oil in the tub and just soaked the day away. And I did it in the middle of the afternoon.

Now I don’t know about you, but it isn’t very often that I get to do something like that. But recently I had someone make the comment to me that if she had my big tub, she’d use it all the time. I replied to her that I rarely use it because I just don’t have time. Then I went into my rant about how by the time I get the kids bathed, work, cook, clean up, etc… who has time? And because I work from home, let me tell you, there are some days that I don’t even get a shower in, let alone a long soak in the tub. Then I realized, what a shame. I really am blessed with so much in my life. Even the little things like a big tub. Why ignore them? Why not take some time for myself? I talk to my clients about doing just that all the time. Be present in the moment and enjoy what I have.

So… this afternoon, I shut down the computer early, told my husband he was in charge and that I was going to take a bath. AND…not to expect me for a while, because I wasn’t coming out any time soon. To my joy, he of course said, “Okay!” And off I went. It was such a relaxing experience. Especially because I chose to completely let go. I didn’t sit in there thinking, “I should be doing this or that.” I just let go.

I’ve realized through the years that saying “I should” usually only leads to disappointment or an unsettled conflict in my heart. I took that bath because I wanted to. I took that bath because it was something that I could do for me. And that didn’t make me selfish. It made me better! Because when I got out, I was rejuvenated, relaxed and renewed. I was in balance with myself and in being so, I was more present and able to give to my family.

What is it that you haven’t done for yourself in years? What is it that you want to do but always find an excuse to not do? I want to challenge you today, as the shoe logo says, to ”Just do it!” Give yourself permission to love yourself. Give yourself permission to take care of yourself. Give yourself permission to let go and enjoy. And do it knowing that there are no “shoulds” involved. There is nothing selfish about taking care of yourself and that showing love and gentleness to yourself will have a ripple effect on those around you.

So, whatcha gonna do today? Share your thoughts. You might just give some of us a new idea. ;)