Friday, October 24, 2008

Amnesia

I was recently watching the show "Samantha Who?" on ABC. It is about a woman who has amnesia and is trying to figure out who she really is. She is finding that she doesn't like who she used to be and since she is rediscovering herself, figures she might as well make some changes and be a better person for it. And as I sat there watching, I thought, "Wow, in a way she's kind of lucky." What if we all had a case of amnesia? Wouldn't it be nice if you could just forget the past and reinvent yourself into whomever you wanted to be? And then I thought, "why not?" We all have that capability, yet for some reason, we hold on to the misery of our past and the fear of not being able to change.

So I've invented,what I'm sure could never be a true medical term, but none the less, is my new term. I call it, "Selective Amnesia." And no that's not the same as denial... I like to think of selective amnesia as giving yourself permission to forget past mistakes or regrets in order to get on with your life. So, get on with it! Redefine who you are...start new...and don't look back.