Monday, November 2, 2009

To Everything There Is a Season

I was in my car the other morning listening to the radio and just as I was about to get out, the song that was playing really caught my attention and I just had to write about it. It was “Turn, Turn, Turn” from the band, The Byrds. Yes, I know, the first thing you’re wondering is what station was I listening to… but let’s look past that, I know it’s an old song. You may or may not know the song but let me start by enlightening you with the lyrics. Take your time and really let the words sink in as you read them.

Turn! Turn! Turn! (To Everything There Is a Season)
By The Byrds


To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven


A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep


To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven


A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones
A time to gather stones together


To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven


A time of war, a time of peace
A time of love, a time of hate
A time you may embrace
A time to refrain from embracing


To everything - turn, turn, turn
There is a season - turn, turn, turn
And a time for every purpose under heaven


A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time of peace, I swear it's not too late!

So as I sat there, I thought to myself, what season is it for me? Fall is here and the weather is beginning to change. But that’s not all that is changing. It really is time for a season of change in our world. Is it time for a season of change in your own life?


Is it a time to plant or reap for you? Is it a time to build up, to dance, to love, to gain? There truly is a time for every purpose under heaven. The question is; have you found your purpose? And are you ready to make a change to fulfill that purpose?


You can embrace it or you can resist it, but change is inevitable in our lives. Use this fall’s changing season as an opportunity for you to create positive changes in your life. There is a season for everything…let this be your season.